Monday, September 26, 2011

Thoughts on Service

     I knew from the start that I wanted to be involved in community service here at SJU. But to be honest, I've never really participated in any face to face experience. Sure, I've donated to charities or started fundraisers. But when my professor explained to us that we would be a tutor for an adult that never learned to read, I'll admit I became very nervous. 

     While I am friendly, I'm by nature, quite introverted. And I'm terrible at talking to adults. So, this has made me a little scared. Being a tutor is a huge deal. I'm directly impacted someone else's life. Am I really ready to do that? Would I be good enough? It's pretty nerve-racking. On Monday, we had training and I think that helped calm me down. I don't know what I should expect to see, but I know what I have to do. 
     I don't know what it is going to be like. But I just have to keep telling myself I can do it. Hopefully, I can make a difference in someone's life. My plan is to just go in open-minded and with my guard let down. This is going to be a great experience for the both of us.

0 comments: