I knew from the start that I wanted to be involved in community service here at SJU. But to be honest, I've never really participated in any face to face experience. Sure, I've donated to charities or started fundraisers. But when my professor explained to us that we would be a tutor for an adult that never learned to read, I'll admit I became very nervous.
Monday, September 26, 2011
Posted by Taylor at 6:58 AM
Monday, September 19, 2011
Posted by Taylor at 7:36 AM
Sunday, September 11, 2011
1. The campus is absolutely breathtaking
I remember visiting this college a few times while making my decision of where to spend the next four years. And I always thought it was a pretty place. But now that I'm actually living and experiencing it, I can really appreciate it. I find myself walking around thinking "Wow! This is beautiful."
2. People here are genuinely friendly
I can't think of another place I've been to where so many people said hi to you when you walked by or thanked you for opening a door. People here are so nice.
3. I'm going to have a lot more work to do here
Seriously. I spent 3 hours on Chinese homework.
4. The dining hall is nice
I have to give it to the school. For cafeteria food, it's not bad at all. And while some things are better than others, there's a ton of variety.
5. But it also has it's downs
Problem is, here we're forced into buying a bagillion dollar meal plan for a dining hall that is never open when you want it to be. Why is it that all the doors are locked at dinner time?!
6. This school is going to challenge me
Who knew I'd have a test the first week of school? or that I'd have to teach an international student english while he teaches me Chinese? And I have to balance my school work, of course.
7. Becoming best friends with your roommate is an awesome thing
You don't have to be friends with your roommate. In fact, I knew several people that weren't and still got by fine. But I'm really glad that my roommate and I hit it off so well. Even though I'm new and I don't have too many friends, I always have someone to eat with or someone just to hang out with when I'm bored.
8. I have a ton of free time, but not as much free time as I think I do.
Which is actually why for right now 9 to 12 aren't getting descriptions. I'll be back to edit later.
9. I'm going to miss everything about home
10. Getting adjusted to living on your own is easier than you think
11. It takes time to make friends. Always be patient.
12. These are going to be the best four years of my life.
Posted by Taylor at 8:56 AM